Sunday, December 20, 2009

Introduction today - Kosha Mangsho

Hmm,,

Not that I am writing for the first time, just that this is the first time I'm attempting to write a food blog. Cooking has over the recent years changed from being just a hobby, to a full time passion. These days, you will probably find me chopping, grating or frying stuff in the kitchen. Of course the chopping part is mostly done by Maa. But somehow the entire focus of cooking for home has fallen upon me these days.
Not that i object. Of course not. I love to cook.
Well since it's my first post tonight, I wont regal everyone with my cookery skills. Yet..hehe
I've been cooking since I was 12 or so, the first times being pure disasters, like cracking the egg shell with the shell falling in the bowl and the egg on the floor. Oh how i was beaten then.. :D

Anyways, for starters, I am going to just post the recipe for Kosha Mangsho I'd made during Pujo at Dida's place in Kolkata.

Ingredients
  • Mutton(washed and diced into medium sized pieces) - 2 kg (that's how much I used at least)
  • Onion(sliced lengthwise) - 15 to 16 medium sized (use as per your requirements)
  • Ginger Garlic paste - 4 -5 tbsp
  • Potatoes (diced into quarters) - about 6 or 7. optional usage, use potato if you are a potato lover
  • Turmeric - 1 tsp
  • Red chilly powder - according to taste buds ( I prefer about 2 tsp )
  • Cumin powder - 1 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1 tsp
  • Garam masala - either whole or powder ( 2 tsp powder )
  • Salt - to taste
  • Mustard oil - 1 ½ cup
  • Bay leaf - 2 or 3
  • Sugar - ½ tsp
Method
  • Wash and drain the mutton nicely.
  • Heat mustard oil in a pressure cooker/wok/kadhai
  • When hot enough, add potatoes.
  • Fry the potatoes lightly, till light golden. Drain the excess oil and keep them aside.
  • Add the bay leaves. (if using whole garam masala, add them now)
  • Add sliced onion. Fry till onions are golden brown.
  • Add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric, chilly powder, garam masala powder (if using powder) and sugar.
  • Turn down flame to medium and cover for a while to release oil.
  • Turn up the heat and add the mutton. Mix well and fry for a while.
  • Add salt according to taste, cumin and coriander powder.
  • Cover and about 3 water and wait for 3-4 whistles.
  • Once the oil starts separating from the meat the sides, add the potatoes, add about 3 cups (andaaj moton add korle hobe, or till the meat is immersed) water and wait for 2 more whistles.
  • Open the cooker and turn the heat on low flame for about 5 to 6mins, allowing the oil to start separating once again. (tel chara chara). (Sprinkle coriander leaves if desired for garnishing)
  • Kosha mangsho is ready to be served.
  • Serve the dish hot with rice or paratha.
:) This is how I made the dish. There are of course various ways to prepare the same. But I must say this was my first attempt at Mutton, and it turned out delicious (Self praise cholbe?)
Anyways, Bon Appetit people. Hope you guys like it. Hoping to post more recipes, and waiting for your advice and insights friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment